David M. Burchell (1901-1907)

had been an advocate for Glace Bay becoming a town and was elected to the post of mayor. He was a popular choice and was well know having served as Superintendent of the Dominion Coal's "Company Stores" (better known as the "Pluck Me Stores"). The town grew in area and population during this time and most of the essential services had begun.

John C. Douglas (1907-1910)

was the second mayor. He had previously served as the town's first solicitor. His term saw a

continuation of growth and the first Central School was erected on York Street in Glace Bay.

Henry MacDonald (1910-1912)

the third mayor was one of the town's pioneers having served as a Municipal Councillor before Glace Bay became a town. He was one of the leaders on the establishing St. Joseph's Hospital before becoming mayor. He died in office in 1912.

Gordon S. Harrington (1912-1914)

was born in Halifax, came to Glace Bay to practice law and eventually became the fourth mayor. Glace Bay High School was built during his term and opened the year he retired to pursue a more active political life, eventually becoming the Premier of Nova Scotia. The Harrington home still stands today across from the Heritage Museum (Old Town Hall).

Dan R. Cameron (1915-1916)

followed Harrington as Mayor and also into the Provincial Legislature, being elected to that body upon retirement. His lumber business in town still exists under the Cameron name.

Allan J. MacDonald (1917)

was the son of Senator MacDonald, after whom Senator's corner (now known as Senator's Place) was named.

Alonzo L. O'Neil (1918-1920)

became the first miner to hold the office of mayor of this mining town. He also operated a small store on upper Main St.

E. MacKay Forbes (1920-1921)

was a local solicitor who served as mayor when the second Central School was constructed on York Street in Glace Bay.

D.W. Morrison (1922-1931 and 1934-1950)

served the longest time of any other mayor of the town. The popular Dan Willie had been active in labour and politics for many years and under his long service the town grew to become the largest in Canada. Morrison Glace Bay High School was erected during his time in office. It had since become a junior high school and it now serves as a school for English as Second Language for foreign students.

Charles MacVicar (1933-1934)

served as mayor as the town and the world struggled to overcome the depression of the "Hungry Thirties". He was also the long time manager and coach of the Caledonia Football Team.

D.A. MacDonald (1950-1970)

was the second longest serving mayor of Glace Bay. A proven sound business man and graduate of St. Francis Xavier University, Dan Alex was to see the town progress in many ways and to witness the drop in demand for coal.

Dan A. Munroe (1970-1981)

had served as a member of the town office staff during D.A. MacDonald's term before running for the position upon the mayor's retirement, and so another Dan Alex presided over town affairs. During his term the Recreation Commission was set up and the rehabilitation of the Savoy began

Bruce C. Clarke (1981-1988)

had served on the staff of the Town Hall before accepting the position of Town Clerk for Dominion. On retirement of Dan Munroe, he ran for the position of Mayor of Glace Bay and was victorious. Although the town was facing an economic down turn with the closing of mines and sharp decline in the fishing industry many improvements became evident.

Donald MacInnis (1988-1995)

was the town's last mayor and appropriately had been a miner for many years. A well known and outstanding athlete, Donald came from the Caledonia area where he starred on the famous Caledonia Rugby team, as well as in track and other sports. Before entering town politics he had been victorious in several Federal Elections serving under John Diefenbaker. By 1995 the town of Glace Bay had ceased to exist as an independent unit and became a part of the Cape Breton Regional Municipality.

D.J. MacDonald - Town Clerk
Stanley Wadden - Accountant / Town Clerk

Sometime in 1941, Wadden and MacDonald went on a fishing trip in the Louisbourg area. On their return trip they lost their way. Wadden was found by an S&L crew member and survived, while MacDonald was found much later and as a result died of exhaustion and exposure.

Judge Alexander Bernard MacGillivray

Born in 1858 in Grand Narrows and moved to Glace Bay when he was 13. He had no formal legal training. When Glace Bay was incorporated in 1901, A. B., as he was known to all, then 43, was named the town's first Stipendiary Magistrate and dispensed " common sense justice" for more than 40 years. He died in the 1940's.